THINGS TO DO IN SAN DIEGO
San Diego is California's second largest city and has near-perfect weather, beautiful surroundings and endless adventures at hand. That makes San Diego on of the top destinations in the world. Experience the best that California has to offer. From 70 miles of pristine coastline, to a vibrant arts scene, sizzling downtown nightlife and thrilling attractions, discover why San Diego is an ideal vacation destination.
Experience SeaWorld San Diego, the San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, LEGOLAND California Resort and Balboa Park, the largest urban cultural park in North America. Explore historic Missions, Old Town and Cabrillo National Monument where California began. Browse through dozens of museums with exhibits ranging from fine art and natural history to aircraft and sports memorabilia. Or immerse yourself in an unforgettable theatrical or musical experience.
Downtown San Diego is an exciting urban center full of specialty shops, hotels, restaurants, galleries and theaters. The walkable historic Gaslamp Quarter boasts turn-of-the-century elegance, while the modern Horton Plaza contains more than 150 stores. Along the harbor, San Diego's waterfront keeps growing as more cruise ships pull into port annually.
Shopping opportunities abound throughout the county from state-of-the-art shopping centers to upscale brand-name outlet malls to neighborhood specialty stores, chic boutiques and galleries. San Diego is a delicious surprise for food lovers, with rich and savory aromas of cuisines - from Afghan to Vietnamese - found in more than 6,400 restaurants located throughout the county.
Sightseeing can be enjoyed on bay cruises, water taxis and popular ferry rides to Coronado, or you can sit back and relax on trolley tours, horse-drawn carriage rides or other fun modes of transportation. Take an adventure in the sky in a bi-plane, hot air balloon or paraglider. A visit south of the border to Mexico is only minutes away.
Try these essential San Diego experiences:
1. Stroll around Balboa Park
2. Take in the San Diego Zoo
3. Watch the penguins at SeaWorld San Diego and visit LEGOLAND's Sea Life Aquarium
4. Use pedal or foot power to explore Mission Bay Park's beaches, lawns and playgrounds
5. Let your inner child free in downtown San Diego's New Children's Museum.
6. Climb ladders between decks and the galleys and play with a flight simulator at the USS Midway Museum's 1,001-foot-long aircraft carrier docked in San Diego Bay
7. Check out the Navy vessels in San Diego Bay
8. Swoop above The Flower Fields of Carlsbad in a restored biplane
9. Drive to Cuyamaca Mountains, Mt. Palomar and the Anza-Borrego Desert
10. Pick a patch os sand anywhere from Imperial Beach to Oceanside and enjoy the show as the sky goes from sunny blue to dusky rose as the sun slips into the ocean
Taken from the San Diego Tourism Authority